Wes Buck The WSOPM, and Keyboard Warriors...

Over the last couple of days on social media I have seen quite a number of people playing keyboard quarterback in regard to Wes Buck’s World Series of Pro Mod. And yes, I wasn’t there, but it’s about time to address some things.

There is a reason that people like Wes Buck, James Lawrence (DragZine), Bobby Bennett (Comp Plus) , & Joe and Betty Edwards (Door Slammers Plus) are successful people. The reason is that they don’t let people who have never done and will never try to do, bring them down. A wise person once said the following

“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” - Robert F. Kennedy. "

This is true about every single one of us in the media that own a company. Every article, every issue printed, every event covered, it could be the last event because we dare to fail in an attempt to achieve greatness in our field.

So let’s look at Wes’ event and the “concerns” that some people had. The issues seemed to range from the way the ladder was done, to the location, to the other classes and things going on that weren’t pro mod. My first question to you armchair race promoters is this, why the hell don’t you put up $150-$200k and do your own race the way you want it done? You may say “but he was only paying $100k.” Do you really think that one single payout was all this cost Wes? He also has all the other payouts, promotional material, usually track rental, live feed, travel costs, etc. Oh, you didn’t know that? Then why are you opening your laptop just to get online and bash?

Now I will be the first to come out and say there were a lot of things about the race from the very start that I didn’t care for, but it’s also not my money or my race. I consider Wes a friend and colleague, and expected nothing but the best for him. There are few people that I consider standard bearing in my world, but Wes, James, and Bobby are the three that I judge myself against in our industry and all have failed more times than most will ever even try. At what point do you have the right to bash an event? I was under the impression that we were all part of the family we call drag racing. Apparently, the social media tough guys have different ideas.

Do I think that the race should have been on the mountain? Nope. Do I think that there could have been some things done differently to increase the success of the event? Yep. Do I think that Wes carries his balls in the back of a dump truck for even attempting to pull off an event like this? You're damn right I do! When you attempt to do something of this magnitude, you are putting yourself at a huge risk for failure. Not only did Wes not fail, he far exceeded most people’s expectations for the event. He pulled off what no one thought could be done, and that was to get 16 class A pro mods to race each other on the mountain and make it a real show. Yes, I said a show!

Some fail to realize that drag racing is more than a sport, or a show for the fans. People who have been around long enough understand that drag racing is a way of life. It’s a lifestyle that 99% of the population will never understand and never accept. The other 1% live, breathe, and bleed drag racing and motorsports in general. Wes is one of those guys that bleeds motor oil. His passion far exceeds that of most anyone else. I don’t see eye to eye with Wes on a lot of things, but the thing I do see eye to eye with him on is our passion for the sport we love. Whether it’s being behind the wheel, behind the camera, or behind the keyboard, our goal and mission is to bring what we love to the masses and he continues to raise the bar!

My hats off to Drag Illustrated, Wes Buck, Alisha Buck, J.T. Hudson, and the rest of the DI family on a successful event. You did something that most thought couldn’t be done and some hoped you’d fall on your face doing it. You learned what worked and what didn’t. This prepares you for your next adventure! To you Alisha, as some better halves can attest to, drag racing is not a 9-5 office job, and you are an amazing source of strength for Wes! In reality, you are the one that makes all the things Wes does possible.

In closing, a huge congrats also to Mike Bowman from California. He took a hard-fought win in the final, paired against NHRA Gainesville winner Steven Whiteley. Mike drive one of the fastest turbo cars on the planet. If you don’t know who he is, you certainly should! We will be writing more about him in the future. And to you sit at home keyboard promoters, tech inspectors, second guessers, and “media”, how about you learn to respect the sport and people in it. Get off your ass and go to an event. I don’t care if it’s T&T or and NHRA event. Just go and support!!